Sunday, April 29, 2007

German Couple Meet on American Train, Married 6 Days Later

Reno, 1905

CUPID PRESENT ON THE TRAINS

Young People Enroute from New York Meet, Fall in Love and Are Married in Reno

A marriage the result of a six days' acquaintance was performed by Judge Nash in the Justice Court on Second street yesterday morning, when he spoke the words that made Max Freebert, a young German recently of New York, and Miss Sarah Vogel, late of Germany, man and wife. The wedding was a quiet affair, the only person present, besides the judge and contracting parties, being Deputy Constable Groton, who acted as a witness, but even if the ceremony was plain and was performed in a dingy office instead of a gayly decorated church, it is safe to say that two happier people never took the marriage vow.

The groom in speaking of the wedding, afterwards said:

"I have only known my bride six days, but she is the best little woman I ever knew, and the only one I love in all the world. She has no relatives and neither have I, and that is the reason we were married so soon. She had just come from Germany and was going to San Francisco when I met her. We were traveling across the continent on the same train and noticing that she was lonesome I got an acquaintance and learned that she had known my old mother and father, who died just a few months ago. We talked of the old times and she told me that her parents had died only a short time ago and that she was on her way to San Francisco to seek work. I was in the same fix and, well, we just got married; that's all."

Mr. and Mrs. Freebert intend to reside in this city and have rented a neat little cottage on the north side. The groom is a tailor by trade and intends to open a shop in Reno within the next few weeks.

—Daily Nevada State Journal, Reno, NV, Feb. 1, 1905, p. 5.

No comments: