Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Mr. Yet Y

1902

"We often see peculiar names," said Deputy Register J. P. Pemberton recently, "but the most peculiar one that has ever come to my attention in the years that I have spent in the Register's office was the name of a gentleman transferring a piece of property a few days ago. His name was Yet Y. There is no joke about the matter, for the official records show this is his actual name, and no one would take the chances of tampering with the official records.

"The name struck me as being so peculiar that I asked him how he came to get such a name. Mr. Y said: 'I do not know just exactly how I came to have the very peculiar name, though I have investigated the matter. I find that my family originally came from the southern part of England, and the name was first spelled "Whey," doubtless from the fact that some of my early ancestors worked on the wheys. Later I find the name came to be "Why." However, the name of my grandfather was simply Y, and my father's name was Sacques Y. I suppose that I was given the name I now bear to let the people know that the family name was 'yet Y.' " — Chattanooga Times.

No comments: