Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Found! A Real Old-Fashioned Girl


1922

BROOKLYN, Jan. 6. -- With Miss Libbie Spies voted Brooklyn's prettiest high school girl, it should naturally follow that a stage career or stardom in the movies is her next step.

But that's where the hitch comes in!

Instead of to the bright lights or the flickering film, this 17-year-old young lady has her plans all set to turn to a complete education in teaching and cooking.

She wants to be a school marm first -- then a good housekeeper.

Pleased with this honor bestowed upon her?

"Certainly," she says, "but if I am pretty it is not due to any effort on my part -- so why get excited about it?

"I like the great outdoors and I love horseback riding and tennis. Perhaps that explains my color. It doesn't come from rouge.

"I eat regularly and I get plenty of sleep. I guess beauty is a matter of good health, and I've never been sick in my life."

When Miss Spies graduates she will take a two-year teaching course -- then become a primary grade teacher.

"Maybe I'll marry someday," says she. "When the right man comes along I will be ready to cook and keep house. My mother has trained me. And I can play a mandolin, too. But I'm too young to think of marriage now.

"And besides, I want to travel. Beauty is all right, I guess. But brains are what counts, and teaching and traveling will give me knowledge.

"Just don't put me down as a would-be movie star, or a Broadway light -- rather, just an old-fashioned girl."

--The Bee, Danville, Virginia, January 6, 1922, page 4.

No comments: