Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Woman Swallows Mouse; To Hospital

1920

Penalty of Sleeping With Mouth Open, She Says

LONDON, England -- St. Thomas Hospital, London, has just treated a patient who told the doctors that she had swallowed a mouse. She is Mary Watson of Lambeth, a young married woman.

"I have swallowed a mouse and am very sick," she said to the doctor who attended her. She explained that she was asleep at 3 a.m. with her baby when she was awakened by the child moving.

"I saw a mouse coming along my breast. The mouse slipped into my mouth before I could stop it. I always sleep with my mouth open."

It was thought unnecessary at the hospital to put the woman under X-rays, as she was suffering from ordinary sickness only, and she left easier in mind.

--The Saturday Blade, Chicago, March 27, 1920, page 9.

Comment: So did she swallow a mouse or not?

No comments: