Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Treading On Lions

1900

While pursuing guinea-fowl in the Orange Free State Mr. G. Nicholson had a dangerous adventure with lions. He was stumbling along a rocky ridge, he says, when he suddenly trod on something soft, and instinctively took a spring.

Before I could look round a fearful growling was heard, and two lion cubs, about as large as spaniels, became visible, evidently in a fury at being so roughly disturbed. Next moment I became aware of a lioness rapidly but cautiously making for me.

There was no time to put bullets into the gun, and I quickly decided to stand still till it became clear that the lioness meant to seize me. Then, as a last chance, I would send a charge of shot at her head, in the hope of blinding her, at least.

In a few moments the brute was within four yards or so of me, growling and showing her teeth. I wished myself anywhere but there, but forced myself to stand motionless.

Luckily the cubs joined their dam, and she halted to notice them a moment. She came on a few steps, looking ugly, but halted again, then turned slowly around, and followed by the cubs, made for a huge boulder twenty yards distant, and lay down behind it, as I could see by the tail tuft which protruded beyond the rock.

Then my hunter's blood was up. I loaded my gun, kicked off my shoes, and climbed the great boulder. I was within three yards of the lioness, who instantly discovered me and crouched to charge. Taking careful aim at her breast, I fired and killed her.

The "boys" at the wagons heard the firing and came up. The two cubs were soon caught, at the expense of a few bites and scratches. We took them to camp, where they were kept for several months. We afterward sold them to an American skipper. — Youth's Companion.

Comment: Not exactly how we wanted the story to end.

No comments: