Wednesday, May 28, 2008

A Fat Woman's Dilemma

1895

Among the passengers on a Bryn Mawr accommodation train a few days ago was a very stout old lady. She occupied an entire seat, because there was no room beside her for any one else. She looked worried. Finally, when the train was nearing Haverford station, she leaned over and tapped the shoulder of a young man in front of her.

"Pardon me, young man," she said, "can you tell me what the next station is?"

"Haverford, ma'am."

"Well, young man," she continued, "when we get there, will you help me off the train?"

The young man expressed his willingness to do her that service, but he looked so surprised that the old lady made an explanation.

"I wouldn't ask your assistance, young man," she said, "but I tried to get off two stations back and couldn't. You see, I am so stout that I have to get down the platform steps backward. The conductor saw me unfortunately, and thinking from my position that I was just boarding the train he helped me on again." — Philadelphia Record.

No comments: