Thursday, May 22, 2008

Sympathetic Painter

1895

The language of hints is Greek to children, as a rule, and they interpret it after a simple fashion of their own.

"Where have you been all the morning, Dick?" inquired Mrs. Sampson of her 10-year-old son.

"I've been down by the old sawmill watching a man paint a picture," replied Dick, whose chubby countenance was decorated with paint of various colors.

"I am afraid you must have bothered him," said Mrs. Sampson as she began to scrub her son's besmirched features.

"No'm, I didn't bother him a bit," said Dick in a moment's intermission between the applications of soap and water. "He was interested in me. I could tell by the way he talked."

"What did he say?" inquired Mrs. Sampson.

"He looked at his watch," replied Dick, "and told me he knew it was 'most my dinner time. He knew a boy of my age must be hungry, be said, for he'd been a boy himself." — Youth's Companion.


Offenbach and Beethoven

When Offenbach was at Ems at the flood tide of his popularity, he was presented to old Emperor William. "I know you are a foreigner by naturalization," said the kaiser, "but Germany is proud of you nevertheless, for, if I am not mistaken, you were born in Bonn."

"No, sire," was Offenbach's answer, "I am from Cologne. The other man was born in Bonn." The "other man" was Beethoven.


Bedticking Reins

Strong and pretty reins for children may be made of bedticking. Cut a piece 3 inches wide and fold together, sewing firmly. Work the white lines in fancy stitches with colored wools, and across the front piece fasten small bells.

No comments: