Saturday, July 26, 2008

Bowling Match at Krug's Alley

New York, 1895

Woodhaven and Ozone Park News.

To-morrow evening there will be a bowling match at Krug's alleys between Messrs. Hoelfelder, Stuber and Zweig.

George Grieve, who sailed for Scotland three months ago has returned, bringing with him a charming bride. George gave his friends a big surprise.

George T. Walker and Alex Ross, who were arrested Friday night by Sheriff Peterson on complaint of Mrs. Florence Wescott, for malicious mischief, were tried before Justice Lott Monday night, and discharged.

On Sunday morning about 12 o'clock an alarm of fire was given. It called the firemen out in their Sunday clothes. The fire proved to be in the garret of a house in Union Course, caused by a defective chimney. Damage about $10.

George W. Nones, who has been away for the past year, returned to Ozone Park on Tuesday for a short visit among old friends, who were more than glad to see him. Mr. Nones is in the poultry business at Rhinecliffe, N. Y., where he has at present over sixteen thousand young chicks hatched by incubators.

Eva Buthroy, the five year old daughter of James Buthroy, of Brooklyn Hills, was terribly burned Monday evening while playing around a bonfire which some of her companions had kindled. Her clothing took fire and she ran towards her home a mass of flame. George McDonald caught her as she was about to fall and wrapping his coat about her extinguished the flames. It is feared that she is fatally burned.

Thursday night Chief Garbe sent out an alarm of fire from Woodhaven, calling the entire department to Ferry street and University place. The boys were very prompt in responding, but when they found out that the chief took upon himself the privilege of sending out an alarm for a drill, they did not feel quite so good over it. They are always ready to respond to a fire, but do not think the chief has any right to send in a false alarm.

John Markham on Sunday inflicted a serious injury upon Leon Mabet, a boy 14 years old. As the two were at the railroad station awaiting a train for Laurel Hill where they were to take part in a ball game, Markham, in showing his companion how to swing the bat, brought it down on the boy's head, crushing the skull over the right temple. The lad was picked up unconscious and removed to his home, and afterward to the hospital. Young Markham gave himself up to Officer Bush and was paroled to await the result of Leon's injuries.

The people of Ozone Park have complained several times of the pigs running loose in the streets. Sunday morning the poundmaster engaged two noted pig catchers of the place to capture "piggie," but the pigs were very lively and they led the "professors" a long chase before being caught. But how were they to get them to the pound? Well, one took two pigs under his arms, and the other took one under his arm and led one by a rope. Before they managed to get to the pound they attracted a crowd who kept tickling the pigs and making all the fun they could. It will take twelve good dollars to get the pigs out again, and the owner says he will not pay it.

—The Long Island Farmer, Jamaica, NY, May 17, 1895, p. 8.

No comments: