Saturday, July 12, 2008

Mrs. Boidy Soly Found Wandering

New York, 1895

Woodhaven and Ozone Park News

Mrs. John Wyckoff, mother of William F. and John Wyckoff, and their sister Annie, sailed on the steamer Fulda for England on Saturday.

The Belmont A. C. of Union Course elected the following officers: President, H. Bainbridge; vice president, J. Schmidt; treasurer, H. B. Jackson.

Mrs. Charlotte E. Croatman, of Ozone Park, widow of John Croatman, received on Friday $1,500 from Ozone Council, R. A. This is the first death the council has had since it was organized over two years ago.

Mr. Van Voorhes has taken charge of the new stables at the Aqueduct race track and is overseeing the other improvements now under way, The association has recently added a piece of ground and will make a mile track.

Micheal Cleary tried to shoot a cat which had killed a number of his chickens. Cleary's shot went wide of the mark and passed through a window in the home of Mrs. Billingham. The bullet missed the woman and passed through a panel of the door on the opposite side of the house.

Mrs. Fouquet, whose house was condemned by the highway commissioners for the purpose of opening Oakley avenue through to Grafton avenue, is having a new house erected on land adjoining the old site, which has been her home for a number of years.

Friday evening J. Merk went to Armbruster's saloon for a can of beer, and while there struck Mrs. Armbruster on the head with a stone pitcher that was standing on the bar. Dr. Ball, who was called to attend the injured woman, was obliged to take five stitches in the wound. Merk was arrested by Deputy Sheriffs Bush and Jephson. Monday he was arraigned before Justice Lott and remanded to jail to await the result of Mrs. Armbruster's injuries, she being unable to appear.

Mrs. Boidy Soly was found wandering aimlessly about in the storm on Tuesday night. She carried a half-starved infant pressed close to her breast. The woman, who is destitute, was on her way to visit her uncle, who lives at Sayville. She had bought a ticket for that place in Long Island City, spending all the money she had for it. By some carelessness she took the wrong train and landed here. The woman was put off the train at Woodhaven Junction. The waiting room is a dismal place and, after waiting in it all day, she started to hunt up her relatives. The woman could not speak English and she thought she was at Sayville. She plodded about through the muddy streets, hugging her child tightly to protect it from the cold. Some time after midnight, when she had become almost exhausted, she was found by a policeman. She was unable to reply to his questions. It was ascertained that the woman was a Bohemian and Joseph Marusack, a man of that nationality, was called. She said that she had lived in New York. About two months ago her husband died and she was left with little means. She tried to get work, but could not do so.

—The Long Island Farmer, Jamaica, NY, May 3, 1895, p. 8.

No comments: